Location Kigoma, Tanzania
Start Date Sep - Nov 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 12 Months
Language Requirements English
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
As the Biostatistician/Statistician Advisor, you will support the efforts of the Regional Health Management Team (RHMT) in improving their knowledge of statistics so that they can better analyze and create methods of interpreting the vast amounts of medical data that they have. You will also help them to better assess the risks and benefits of various medical procedures in their catchment area. A large part of your day to day work will involve designing new and insightful studies, collecting the relevant information from physicians and patients, and compiling these raw numbers into a sensible form. By evaluating the risk factors present in Kigoma population, you will be able to compute the dangers of and solutions to the spread of disease.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Support the RHMT in designing, analyzing, and implementing targeted statistical studies, which are geared to further medical knowledge and improve research efforts in the Kigoma region
-Help the RHMT members sift through data with advanced processing tools and methodology
Essential Academic Qualifications:
-Biostatics degree or Statistical degree
Essential Professional Background:
-Sound written and verbal communication skills
-Sound active listening skills
-Sound critical thinking
-Ability to work independently and in teams
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Vous n’avez qu’à saisir votre adresse électronique ci-dessous et nous vous enverrons immédiatement un nouveau mot de passe!
Notre système ne reconnaît pas l'adresse électronique saisie.
N’oubliez pas de consulter vos dossiers pourriel/courrier indésirable si vous ne recevez pas rapidement votre nouveau mot de passe.
Veuillez consulter votre courrier électronique pour obtenir les instructions de réinitialisation de mot de passe. Nous espérons vous accueillir bientôt!