City Lilongwe, Malawi
Start Date Jun - Aug 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 10 Months
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
This is an exciting opportunity for a public policy professional to contribute to a new regional nutrition project led by CARE Canada. The Southern Africa Nutrition Initiative (SANI) will improve the nutrition of women of reproductive age and reduce stunting of growth for children under five years old. The Nutrition Policy Advisor will contribute to the implementation of the SANI project in Malawi with CARE’s partner Civil Society Organization Nutrition Alliance (CSONA).
As Nutrition Policy Advisor you will bring strong technical expertise to the SANI team in Malawi, working with colleagues to ensure that SANI builds local capacity with CSO’s to improve nutrition policy and direction in rural regions of the country.
You will bring to this role a solid understanding of nutrition and/or public health and policy approaches and have the ability to work successfully in a cross-cultural environment with multiple stakeholders.
As a volunteer, you will:
-Map, review and monitor food and nutrition security priorities, policies and objectives
-Review the National Nutrition Policy and StrategicmPlan and assess their implications on the SANI project
-Develop and produce policy briefs for use at district and community level
-Coordinate the development of a nutrition research agenda and oversee its implementation
-Provide nutrition policy direction and guidance to key Stakeholders
-Identify issues of nutrition at national and district levels, as well as best practices from SANI and CSONA
Essential Academic Qualifications:
Degree in Public Policy, Health Policy, Public Health, or Nutrition in a related field
Essential Professional Background:
-At least 2 years of experience working in public health
-Experience with participatory methodology
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
Simply enter your email address below and we'll send you a new password right away!
The email address you entered does not exist in our system.
Please remember to check your junk/spam folders if you don't receive your new password promptly.
Please check you email for the password reset instructions. We hope you'll join us soon!