City Maxixe, Mozambique
Start Date May - Jul 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 9 Months
Language Requirements English, Portuguese/Spanish
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
Due to funder restrictions, support for accompanying partners/dependents is not available for this placement.
The Volunteer’s Role
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Public Health Advisor to contribute to a regional nutrition project led by CARE Canada!
As a Public Health Advisor, you bring strong technical expertise to the SANI team in Mozambique, working with colleagues in the Maxixe office to ensure that behavioural changes and community development outputs are met in order to decrease cases of malnutrition in the districts of Homoine and Funhalouro. This includes working with and supporting staff, partners and volunteers in understanding how community development can assist in reducing malnutrition cases. Your excellent communication and research skills will lend a hand to track behavioural changes and adopt good practices to impart with the community.
Finally, your top-notch facilitation skills will assist the community volunteers and community health workers to develop stronger development plans.
The Southern Africa Nutrition Initiative (SANI) is working to improve the nutrition of women of reproductive age and children under five years old in Malawi, Mozambique, and Zambia. Gender is an integral part of the SANI project, as well as all of CARE’s programming.
As a volunteer, you will:
-Develop and track program strategies for developmental changes
-Facilitate community development plans in conjunction with volunteers and health workers in the districts
-Assist the community in galvanizing support around development outputs
-Integrate gender strategic outputs in all community activities
Essential Academic Qualifications:
-BSc Degree in Public Health
-Graduate Degree in Management or in Health Care
-Management or in Health Hospital Administration preferred
Essential Professional Background:
-At least two years of experience working in Health
-Experience in Project Management
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
Simply enter your email address below and we'll send you a new password right away!
The email address you entered does not exist in our system.
Please remember to check your junk/spam folders if you don't receive your new password promptly.
Please check you email for the password reset instructions. We hope you'll join us soon!