The Université de Montréal is a francophone institution where teaching and research are conducted in French. Therefore, candidates open to learning French during the fellowship are highly encouraged to submit an application. Resources are available at the Université de Montréal for language training (see http://www.langues.umontreal.ca/).
The Université de Montréal Public Health Research Institute (IRSPUM) is offering two emerging researcher fellowships of a maximum duration of two (2) years. These fellowships aim to encourage and support researchers at the beginning of their academic career with the development of a research program in one of the IRSPUM’s research areas. The fellowships also enable them to establish their competitiveness in order to obtain a research scholarship (FRQS, CIHR or equivalent salary award) from a national granting agency.
For the duration of the fellowship, the IRSPUM emerging researcher will be granted an academic affiliation in a department or faculty at the Université de Montréal and will benefit from the same conditions and salary as that of an assistant professor. Candidates are invited to prepare and send their application. For each candidate selected, the IRSPUM fellowships program coordinator will be responsible for making all necessary arrangements with a research mentor and the Université de Montréal host Department/Faculty which will be hosting the emerging researcher (see details below).
1st selection phase
Application deadline: November 15th 2013
Decision announcement – 1st selection phase: January 15th 2014
2nd selection phase
Submission of research project by selected candidates: March 1st 2014
Decision announcement – 2nd selection phase: April 1st 2014
Start of fellowship: Between April 1st and July 1st 2014
Selection process in two phases:
In the 1st selection phase, the committee will evaluate the quality of the applications received and their fit with the IRSPUM’s research program. For each candidate selected, a mentor will be chosen among the IRSPUM regular researchers (see the list of researchers on the IRSPUM website). The IRSPUM will be responsible for identifying the Université de Montréal Department or Faculty which will be hosting the emerging researcher. Selected candidates and their designated mentor will then be invited to prepare together an application for the second selection phase.
In the 2nd selection phase, selected candidates and their mentor will meet the committee to present and discuss their proposed research project and mentoring plan.
No more than two years, or until a research scholarship (FRQS, CIHR or equivalent salary award from another granting agency) is obtained.
For the duration of the fellowship, the emerging researcher will benefit from the same conditions and salary as that of an assistant professor at the Université de Montréal. The IRSPUM will contribute to the fellowship with an amount of $60,000 per year + $15,000 of research funds per year (purchase of supplies, hiring of staff, fees for participating in scientific activities). To complete the fellowship, funds will be provided through the Université de Montréal Department or Faculty which will be hosting the emerging researcher.
Conditions for eligibility:
1. Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
2. Detain an excellent academic and research record.
3. Pursuing research relevant to the IRSPUM main research themes.
4. Hold a PhD from a recognized university.
5. Have completed at least two years of postdoctoral internship (when the fellowship comes into effect). Associate professors are eligible as long as their Department or Faculty wave their teaching requirements (see Emerging researcher’s commitments)
6. Be eligible for the Research Scholars – Junior 1 competition of the FRQS, or for an equivalent competition from another national granting agency, until the autumn of 2016 inclusively (see Appendix).
Documents to be submitted – 1st selection phase:
1. Motivation Letter (max. two pages) indicating your academic career path, your future career outlook, and how your research interests relate to the IRSPUM’s areas of research; if applicable, please specify in this letter summary information (year, program, agency, etc.) regarding any past application for a research scholar fellowship
2. Canadian Common CV (CIHR format), including all appendices (for more information concerning the Canadian Common CV, please consult: https://ccv-cvc.ca/).
3. Official transcripts from university education (Masters and Ph.D.). For transcripts from outside North America, please include a letter explaining the grading system used.
4. A copy of notices of the awarding of grants and scholarships you have received in the past 4 years;
5. Two Letters of Recommendation (one of which must be from your doctoral supervisor or from your postdoctoral internship supervisor).
Documents to be submitted for the candidates selected for the 2nd selection phase:
1. Summary of your research project (max. two pages: problem, research hypotheses and objectives; methods and analyses; feasibility; contribution to the advancement of knowledge; brief bibliography);
2. One Letter of Support from a researcher (full member) at the IRSPUM who has agreed to be your mentor, in which he/she describes how your project will be linked to his/her research program over the next two years;
3. A mentoring plan identifying your main objectives and opportunities in terms of publications, grants submissions, teaching/conferences/knowledge transfer activities, and establishing a timeline.
Emerging researcher’s commitments:
1. Devote 100% of your time to pursuing your research program during the first year of the fellowship; supervision of graduate students is encouraged. A total of 3 teaching credits is allowed for the second year of the fellowship.
2. Participate in the scientific activities of the IRSPUM (seminars, conferences, workshops).
3. Apply and submit proof of application for a scholarship from a granting agency before the end of 2014, and in 2015, if applicable.
4. Carry out the research project full time in the IRSPUM environment.
Selection criteria :
Fellowships will be awarded based on merit. In its evaluation, the jury uses the following criteria: an excellent academic and publication record the project’s originality and scientific interest the project’s relevance to public health and to the IRSPUM the quality of mentorship and of the host environment
The attribution and renewal of the fellowships are conditional to budget availability. The IRSPUM is not committed to awarding a fellowship if the applications do not meet the standards for excellence required for this competition. Applications which do not meet the criteria stated in the present document will not be evaluated. Applications can be presented in French or in English. All documents submitted in a language other than French or English must be accompanied by a certified French or English translation. The renewal of the fellowship for a second year is conditional to the deposit of a report demonstrating conformity to the program’s standards and the maintenance of the scientific quality of the project.
For information: email@example.com
To submit your application:
The entire application, including attachments, must be consolidated in a single pdf file in the order specified in the section ‘Documents to be submitted’. Applications must be sent to the IRSPUM via email, indicating "EMERGING RESEARCHER" in the subject line, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Letters of recommendation and support can be sent separately, by e-mail, mail or courier service, to the following address:
À l’attention de Nicole Lévesque
Institut de recherche en santé publique de l’Université de Montréal (IRSPUM)
Pavillon 7101 avenue du Parc
C.P. 6128, Succ. Centre-Ville
Montréal, Québec, Canada H3C 3J7
À l’attention de Nicole Lévesque (514-343-6193)
Institut de recherche en santé publique de l’Université de Montréal (IRSPUM)
Pavillon 7101 avenue du Parc, bureau 3187-4
Montréal, Québec, Canada H3N 1X7
For more information about the IRSPUM and its activities and its members, please consult www.irspum.umontreal.ca
Eligibility requirements for the 2014-2015 competition of the Research Scholars – Junior 1 of the FRQ-S
Terms and conditions
The FRQS will classify the applicant as a Junior 1, Junior 2 or Senior Researcher and notify the applicant of his or her classification. On receiving such notice, the applicant has 10 business days to request a review of his or her classification, specifying the reasons for the claim.
Classification is based on a given reference year as of which applicants demonstrate their capacity for independent research. Within the meaning of the FRQS, this capacity is demonstrated or should have been demonstrated:
In calculating years of experience, the FRQS may take into account particular situations that may cause applicants to temporarily put their research on hold (e.g. pregnancy, illness, professional activities not involving research: clinical, treatment, management, etc.) and may subtract such years when calculating years of experience.
Simply enter your email address below and we'll send you a new password right away!
The email address you entered does not exist in our system.
Please remember to check your junk/spam folders if you don't receive your new password promptly.
Please check you email for the password reset instructions. We hope you'll join us soon!