Communications and Project Officer
Deadline: August 01, 2015 11:59:00 pm
CIHR – Institute of Health Services and Policy Research McGill University
3666 McTavish, 2nd Floor, Montreal, QC H3A 1Y2
Position Title: Communications and Project Officer
Faculty/Unit: Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) – Institute of Health Services and Policy Research (IHSPR)
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience
What We Do:
The Institute of Health Services and Policy Research (IHSPR) is one of 13 virtual Institutes that comprise the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). IHSPR is dedicated to supporting innovative research, capacity-building and knowledge translation initiatives designed to improve the way health care services are organized, regulated, managed, financed, paid for, used and delivered, in the interest of improving the health and quality of life of all Canadians.
In this position you will have the opportunity to work with a wide array of stakeholders including researchers, decision-makers, executives and knowledge translators, all dedicated to improving the health care services provided to Canadians.
Under the general direction of Dr. Robyn Tamblyn, the Scientific Director of the Institute of Health Services and Policy Research, and working in collaboration with CIHR and IHSPR staff, the incumbent will be required to meet some or all of the following responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of communications and knowledge translation strategies, plans and products;
- Research, write, edit and proof-read communication products such as communication plans, news releases, backgrounders, speeches, presentations, newsletters, and e-blasts;
- Provide communications expertise, advice, support and act as the single point of contact for all communications and knowledge translation activities at IHSPR;
- Support relevant knowledge translation activities (e.g. user-friendly summaries of end-of-grant reports, strategies to communicate research findings with a range of priority audiences);
- Design, develop and plan events for external audiences, including announcements, receptions, community forums, workshops, stakeholder consultations and conferences, to ensure they meet IHSPR’s strategic communication and knowledge translation objectives;
- Act as key liaison with senior officials from other government agencies, the tri-council, NGO’s voluntary sector, industry and universities for relevant files to enhance relationships and create a collaborative approach to communication and knowledge translation vehicles;
- Plan and coordinate communication and knowledge translation activities to ensure maximum exposure to target audiences in both official languages;
- Develop and build strong relationships with counterparts in partner organizations; and
- Manage Institute social media presence and implement tools for maximum effectiveness.
- Contributing to the development of reports, analyses, briefings, and presentations, to ensure effective development, planning and implementation of projects/initiatives and appropriate representation of CIHR-IHSPR;
- Respond to Institute-related questions from a variety of audiences (eg, partners, potential funding applicants, CIHR staff) to ensure timely and accurate communication on behalf of the Institute;
- Lead and/or contribute to data collection and analysis, development of performance management frameworks and the evaluation of projects/ initiatives:
- Aid in peer and relevance review/validation of Institute funding awards, as well as contribute to the creation of annual reports (including development of evaluation criteria, validation of data, etc.)
- Other tasks as assigned.
Education & Experience
- A degree (preferred), diploma, or certificate in Public Relations or Communications is a requirement. Previous experience is an asset.
- Strong practical understanding of public affairs and communication theory and practice;
- Ability to understand and commit to IHSPR’s mandate, strategic objectives, operations and policies as well as communications objectives and plans; and
- Ability to acquire knowledge of CIHR’s legal context and obligation pertaining to internal and external communication.
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities
- Excellent written and oral communication in both English and French; Strong organizational and event planning skills;
- Ability to develop and implement communication strategies;
- Strong project management, priority setting skills and ability to manage multiple tasks;
- Ability to work autonomously in a complex, changing, deadline-oriented environment;
- Strong understanding of media;
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills;
- Ability to use PC office applications including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; and AdobeCreative Suite
- Considerable knowledge of health services and policy issues is a strong asset.
- Some travel required; and
- Requirement to occasionally work outside of regular work hours.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please submit your curriculum vitae and a description of your relevant education and experience to:
McGill University is committed to equity in employment.